In this teaching, Pastor Blunt shares the definition of discipleship and our goal as a disciple. There is a sweet spot for Christians and we are life-long learners! We believe, as you read these notes, God’s Word is working in and through you.
Why be a Disciple?
1. We’ve all been called to be a disciple
2. Time is short
3. This is the greatest hour of the church right now
4. We are to be busy about the master’s business
Definition of Discipleship
A disciple is a student, always constantly learning, applying, doing, and teaching what they are learning.
The goal of a Disciple
- Grow into the image of Christ
- Fulfill the great commission
- Make disciples
- Be in the sweet spot by constantly learning, and pouring into others
“All who are called to Salvation are called to discipleship, no exceptions.” ~ C S Lewis
Matthew 28:18-20 (KJV)
18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Go and make disciples
Characteristics of a Disciple:
- Put God First
- Takes up their cross, follows Him
Luke 14:26-27 (KJV)
26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. 27 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.
- We have to lose our life to become a disciple
- The cross stood for cost and sacrifice
- Will cost us everything and not be easy
- Willing to do whatever it takes to help others grow
Go – Part 2
In the conclusion to “Go”, Pastor encourages us to be the best we can as Christ followers! He finishes strong with the 5 attributes of a disciple and how we know we are leading others to a God who is for them! We believe, as you read these notes, God’s Word is working in and through you.
What should I be doing as a Christian?
-Not walking in fear
-Not comprising to the culture
-Not give up
-Be who God called us to be in this hour
-Be a disciple and make one
What is a disciple?
1. A student, pupil, life-long learner
A. Have to become a student to make it through the battle we are facing
B. As long as we are growing, we’re going
2. Constantly learning, doing, and teaching others
A.God will keep showing us what we are missing, what we need to be doing
B. Who are you helping to grow?
Goal of a Disciple
1. Grow into the image of Christ
2. We are the living epistle of God’s Word and purpose
Matthew 28:18-20 (AMP)
18 Jesus approached and, [a]breaking the silence, said to them, All authority (all power of rule) in heaven and on earth has been given to Me. 19 Go then and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them [b]into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 Teaching them to observe everything that I have commanded you, and behold, I am with you all the days (perpetually, uniformly, and on every occasion), to the [very] close and consummation of the age. Amen (so let it be).
5 Attributes of a Disciple:
1. Puts God first – Luke 14:26 (KJV) 26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
2. Takes up their cross, follows Him – Luke 14:27 (KJV) 27 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.
3. Surrender everything you are and have – Luke 14:33 (KJV) 33 So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.
4. Impacts their culture – Luke 14:34 (KJV) 34 Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be seasoned?
B. Make a difference
C. Stops evil
5. Brings forth fruit – John 15:6 (KJV) 6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
A. Fruit of repentance – Galatians 5:24-25 (AMP) 24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus (the Messiah) have crucified the flesh (the godless human nature) with its passions and appetites and desires. 25 If we live by the [Holy] Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. [If by the Holy Spirit we have our life in God, let us go forward walking in line, our conduct controlled by the Spirit.]
B. Fruit of the Spirit – Galatians 5:22-23 (AMP) 22 But the fruit of the [Holy] Spirit [the work which His presence within accomplishes] is love, joy (gladness), peace, patience (an even temper, forbearance), kindness, goodness (benevolence), faithfulness,23 Gentleness (meekness, humility), self-control (self-restraint, continence). Against such things there is no law [that can bring a charge].
C. Fruit of the lips – Hebrews 13:15 (AMP) 15 Through Him, therefore, let us constantly and at all times offer up to God a sacrifice of praise, which is the fruit of lips that thankfully acknowledge and confess and glorify His name.