How big is the fight on the inside of you? The key to crushing discouragement and feeling like giving up is to arise on the inside and let God encourage you. When we focus on God we will not give up! In the Bible the number one reason why people gave up is because of discouragement. We believe, as you read these notes, God’s Word is working in and through you.
The Cause and Cure for Discouragement
Definition of courage is a correct mindset that causes an inward strength to face and encounter danger and difficulties without fear or depression – 1828 Dictionary.
Depression is a thief, robs us and steals from us all God has for us.
It is not a sin to be depressed, but a sin to stay depressed.
Isaiah 60:1-2 AMP
1 Arise [from the depression and prostration in which circumstances have kept you—rise to a new life]! Shine (be radiant with the glory of the Lord), for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord has risen upon you! 2 For behold, darkness shall cover the earth, and dense darkness [all] peoples, but the Lord shall arise upon you [O Jerusalem], and His glory shall be seen on you.
- Depression comes from fatigue, frustration, wrong feelings, wrong friends, and wrong focus
- Our response to our circumstances is to arise on the inside
- The key to get out of depression into joy is an inside job
- Don’t wait for my circumstances to get better to get out of depression
Isaiah 61:3 KJV
3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified.
How to Encourage Myself
- Renew your mind in the Word.
- Change the way you’re thinking, talking and who you are hanging with.
Psalm 42:11 NLT
Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again — my Savior and my God!
- Focus on God and who He is
- Focus on your praise life
- The healthiest emotion is gratitude
Psalm 142:3 TEV
When I am ready to give up, he knows what I should do. In the path where I walk, my enemies have hidden a trap for me.
- Purpose pulls you through
Story of Hannah (1 Samuel 1:7-10, 15-20 NLT, 1 Samuel 2:1 KJV)
- God doesn’t answer our prayers of bitterness
- Discouragement and depression steals and robs us of answered prayer
Hebrews 12:1-2 KJV
1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
- Joy gives you strength to endure
- Discouragement and depression is the sin that causes us to give up
- Depression starts in my though life
- Focus on who He is
- Focus on what He has done
- Focus on what He has planned for you
- Focus on your thought life
- Focus on your words
- Focus on your friends
God has the cure for what to do when we feel like giving up! Keeping our eyes focused on Jesus we will have joy and finish our race strong. We believe, as you read these notes, God’s Word is working in and through you.
Isaiah 61:3 KJV
To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified.
- You should not build your life on feels, you should build your life on shoulds
- Depression is a negative toxic emotion
- Gratefulness produces happiness
Isaiah 61:3 AMP
To grant [consolation and joy] to those who mourn in Zion—to give them an ornament (a garland or diadem) of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, the garment [expressive] of praise instead of a heavy, burdened, and failing spirit—that they may be called oaks of righteousness [lofty, strong, and magnificent, distinguished for uprightness, justice, and right standing with God], the planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified.
- We are to put on the garment of praise, the oil of joy
Psalm 42:11 NLT
Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again— my Savior and my God!
- When I take responsibility for my life, my life will take off
- Distraction causes discouragement
Psalm 142:3 TEV
When my spirit is weak inside me, you still know my way But they’ve hidden a trap for me in the path I’m taking.
- God knows what we should do when we are ready to give up
- Don’t give up, run to God, He has the cure
Hebrews 12:1-3 KJV
1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.
- Ask God what is slowing you down, causing distractions, steeling your passion
- The key is to look unto Jesus
- Whatever I’m thinking about is where my focus is
- When I feel like giving up, I’m looking at the wrong things
- Every day visit your future, it will give you strength for the present
- Vision gives you endurance
- A purpose pulls you through
- A weary mind is a discouraged mind
Joshua 1:6-8 KJV
6 Be strong and of a good courage: for unto this people shalt thou divide for an inheritance the land, which I sware unto their fathers to give them. 7 Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper withersoever thou goest. 8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
- People who are discouraged murmur, grumble, complain, cynical, and sarcastic
- People of good courage speak of hope, peace, joy, answers, and victory
- Without courage we will not fulfill God’s destiny, and take a risk
How Do We Get Strong
- Positive self-talk
- Right relationships
- Life goals / purpose
- Skilled at gratefulness
- Ask God for help
1 Thessalonians 5:18 KJV
In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18 NLT
16 That is why we never give up. Though our bodies are dying, our spirits are being renewed every day. 17 For our present troubles are small and won’t last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever! 18 So we don’t look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever.
5 Keys to Keep Me From Giving Up
- Spirit renewed daily
- What I’m going through won’t last
- God is using it to grow my character
- Imagine the great reward in my future
- Keep my focus on God